domingo, 24 de julio de 2016

Other people talking to my son in English

I have just made a trip around Belgium. It is the first long trip that we do with our son. Seven days eating at restaurants, driving the car, sleeping in hotels... with a three moth baby! Well, I have to say it has been a great experience full of positive things. The baby has behaved perfectly even during the long hours by car, he was just fantastic. He only had a bad moment in a restaurant. He couldn't stop crying very loud. He didn't want to sleep, he didn't want to eat... who knows what he needed. But other than that, he did very well.
As we were spending the nights and having breakfast in hotels and my son is so cute (mother's love :) ) we have talked to many people in English. But these people not only talked to me and my husband, they also talked to my son and that has been amazing. I have felt very well seeing how other people interacted with him in English as well. And as they did I talked to my son even more.
It has been a month now that I only talk to my baby in English, it has become something easier. Most of the time words come easily although I still struggle a bit with certain verbs and prepositions. It doesn't feel completely natural to me yet, but I can see that I am about to get there. A month ago I was embarrassed of my English, scared, with lots of questions, shy and insecure, but now I feel much more relaxed and comfortable.
Having enjoyed so much being with other people that talk to my son in English has made me realized that, as he gets older, it would be interesting to meet other people who are also raising or parenting their children using English. Maybe being part of an association of bilingual families is an option. I still have time, so I will think about it carefully. For now, trips like this one are great and I hope we do some more soon.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario